Tuesday 20 September 2011

Waterfalls

Currently two weeks into the study abroad experience and I can already say it's incredible. Diana has filled you in with most of the Orientation week's events at Brock so I won't be repeating all that she has said but there is one other event that I feel I should mention. The evening of our arrival, Monday 5th September, before the tower party the St Catharines' Fire Department displayed a 'live burn'. This is where they would set fire to two identical dorm rooms and show how quickly and fiercely they would go up in flames. It was a perfect way to enforce the rules and importance of fire safety as well getting to watch what basically became a massive bonfire. Perhaps the best part of the live burn was the fact that the dorm room with the poster walls of Justin Bieber didn't catch alight as quickly as the crowd were hoping which resulted in the vast majority of people chanting "burn Bieber, burn!" , for me this was definitely a highlight of O-Week. 

Keele girls from left: Jessamyn, Myself, Laurel and Sabrina
My own experience of the International Picnic on Lake Ontario was just really chilled and so relaxing. I was so surprised to be on a beach by a lake, a lake so huge that if it wasn't for the tiny Toronto skyline on the horizon I would have easily mistaken it for the ocean. Later I found out that Lake Ontario was the smallest of the Great Lakes! 

Amazing weather for the beach as well was definitely a good way to wind down after such a busy week. 




As the title of my blog suggests I have found that Ontario isn't exactly short on their number of waterfalls. There's a pretty big one about 20 minutes away, goes by the name 'Niagara Falls', perhaps you've heard of it? Ok, joking aside, the Niagara Falls were amazing and one of the best things I have come across, ever. 
 
The morning of Saturday the 10th of September 2011, two yellow school buses left Brock University heading for the falls. I was already content with the fact I was sitting on a real yellow school bus! When we arrived we were told we could go off and explore and meet back at the buses to head off to the town of Niagara on the Lake. 

There was so much to do there we couldn't have possibly done it all in the time we had, which is why I'm hoping to go back before Christmas 

This picture (above) shows the Canadian side of the falls and you can just about see the boat 'The Maid of the Mist' and how close we actually got to the falls. Its not surprising how we managed to get soaked. 
Keeleties: Charlie, George, Myself, Laurel, Sabrina and Jess
The second waterfall I have encountered so far was on a hike from Brock University along the Bruce Trail and so far has been my favourite day in Canada. Initially the hike was for people in Court 1 of Village Residence but Sabrina and I from Court 2 managed to tag along. Along the way we stopped at the remains of what was De Cew house which was built by John DeCew Captain in the 2nd Lincoln Militia during the war of 1812. The house is remembered as the destination of heroin Laura Secord's celebrated journey to warn the British of a planned American attack - bit of history there for you.

This is a view from the top of the falls with the old mill. Upon arriving here we were told that the only way to reach the pool at the bottom was to make a vertical decent with nothing but tree roots to hold on to. In England, health and safety inspectors would have probably had a field day with this. 

As we (eventually) got to the bottom there was nothing left to do but go swimming in the waterfall. After the initial shock of the cold water it we had such a good time. Definitely my best experience yet and I really hope to go back there and do it again before winter hits. 

More to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment