Friday 24 February 2012

Study Abroad Australia 2# Packing with Jenn

Dear readers, first of all, congratulations to those of you who had applied to study abroad and received their partner university allocation today! You're all wonderful and should be excited. You still have a long way to go, but half the battle is won :) Please take the time to read my blogs, so you can know what to expect in a year or half a year's time, and feel free to message me if you want any help with anything! (Although I won't be able to reply for a couple of days, I haz business with Quantas).

So, after an hour I had my favourite pair of heels and a carefully selected stuffed toy ready for packing. Now, what else...

Ahhh well, that was yesterday :) I have in fact, finished packing now! And my self-challenge to only fill half the case kind of failed. But it's not like I even have that much stuff! Or do I... I don't know!

After a lot of deliberation and upending pretty much my whole wardrobe and drawers I settled for, 3 pairs of jeans (black, tan and blue), about... 9 tops, (5 jumpery things and 4 summer things because I had to pack for cold AND hot D: ), a skirt, about a week's worth of underwear (swimsuit included), a couple of nice dresses, gym wear, 2 pairs of shoes (casual and heels) and... umm what else... well, that's it for clothes at any rate... Then I had a few select DVDs, a couple of stuffed toys because I'm a big baby, one of my travel folders (SEE LAST BLOG :D), moisturiser, umbrella, my sewing kit and a travel towel. Luckily for me, my partner university offered a bedding package that I could buy cheaply which contains duvets and towels, so I don't have to worry about such things (although I daresay I would have bought them in australia instead carrying them with me anyway).

My hand luggage will contain my laptop, camera and scanner, because bear in mind how much they chuck bags around at the airport. Another point- GET INSURANCE. Because if you don't then the gremlins that break stuff will try extra hard to kill your expensive toys because they like to annoy you.

In summary I guess, I've really tried to limit myself as much as possible, only packing my favourite clothes and about a week's worth of stuff taking into account all types of weather. I still wish I could limit myself to less so I had more room in my case, but quite honestly, there really isn't much else in there already apart from bare essentials! When packing for study abroad, you really do have to make some serious decisions about what you really need. For girls especially, I have no doubt this is going to be a seriously hard thing to do! Don't forget though, you can buy things when you get there and you also have the option of getting your parents to freight things to you, at probably less cost than extra baggage through the airport will. The same goes for you getting there and finding out you could do without some of the things you took with you. Just send it back home yo!

I have my toothbrush, but no toothpaste, because I'll get a small amount on the plane and then buy some when I get there.

And, NO FOOD.

Australia = no food through customs kthanxbai (haven't you seen those programs on tv?!?!)

And no drugs, obviously. Don't you look so surprised.

Am I excited? Umm, I don't know really. I think I might be when we're actually driving to the airport tomorrow, but right now I'm kind of zen. Calm before the storm? Perhaps, but there IS only so long you can be excited when you are still facing a 24 hour journey. Luckily my dad was around to drive me to the airport, so my parents will be with me until I check in. It should be noted as well, that if you aren't as lucky as I am to have personal chauffeurs, check out whether there is a coach that goes to your airport (it cost about £30 which is super cheap compared to taxis, which are more like £100). There are usually also trains that go to airports which can be very reasonably priced if you book them long in advance, but if you do it ad hoc then it could cost you a small fortune, so be canny.

Those of you that are privileged enough to know my mobile number should probably know that if you text me or try to ring me, I won't get it because I won't be turning my phone on often. Also if you DO text me, and I turn my phone on in an emergency and start getting billed a pound or more just to receive it, I will not be happy!

See you in Oz darlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment