Saturday 22 December 2012

2012 Review - From Snowy Colorado


The fire roars gently while I view Aspen’s mountains from a comfy sofa. The scene is idyllic, and well deserved given my grades for my first semester at Southern Miss. Despite the constant barrage of work (quizzes, tests, essays, reading!) classes were the mad grade scramble we all know and love at Keele. Two essays and a book analysis due two days before the final exams started – stressful to say the least. But I can rest easy in the knowledge that a 100% is indeed attainable for a university level exam – on the American Civil War no less.
Aside from the stretching academics I have learnt a lot this semester. Of course, I gained in the usual ‘finding myself abroad’ cliché – knowing I can handle leaving important documents 5,000 miles away from where they’re needed, being pleasantly surprised at my lack of homesickness, and making friends who see me as more than just some Brit who hangs around – were some highlights in that regard.
I’ve had some adventures. I’ve been to Memphis, Tennessee – and learned more about music in that weekend than I’ve known my whole life. I’ve been to Austin, Texas for little more reason than attending my friend’s friend’s Halloween party. I spent Thanksgiving in Jackson for traditional food and family fun. I’ve been to New Orleans for the evening of Halloween, and to play Quidditch. And now I find myself in snowy Colorado, leaving for Ottawa in a week, and then Chicago.
I’ve not totally evaded a Southern twang – y’all is my new favourite word. But, I’ve no taste for grits or fried chicken, and have reached the end of my tether arguing against the Second Amendment. But I love the sunny climate, and dodged Hurricane Isaac.
Next semester beckons with several Quidditch tournaments – and a shot at the World Cup in Kissimmee, Florida. February sees New Orleans’ speciality: Mardi Gras. And a long summer of seeing sites and travelling to come.



Roll on 2013 – Southern Miss? To the top! 

Pictures: stunning Aspen, on the way to New Orleans with friends (photo by Anna Hotard), sunset Memphis, and some local foliage in NOLA (photo by Andrew Carpenter). 

No comments:

Post a Comment